Friday, November 5, 2010

Prerace Ironman Florida

Wed, Travel Day!


After a full days rest on Tuesday, Me and Mindy packed up everything but the kitchen sink for our family trip to Panama City Beach, site of the 2010 Florida Ironman. We laughed at the amount of luggage we had packed (luckly I sent my race bag and bike with Tri Team Transport on Sunday). We picked up the kids and headed to the airport. The kids were really good, and it was decided that Melia would sit with me and Troy would sit with Mindy. We go through security and get some lunch and have a picnic on the floor, was pretty awesome to say the least! We board I believe the nicest plan I have ever flown on. People were moving around so that people with kids could sit together and just being nice to each other, I know go firgure huh. This was the long leg of the flight, a little over two hours. Melia suggled up on me the whole flight, she felt warm and I was affraid she was getting sick (turned out I was right :(...) Troy did well with Mindy as he slept for a bit and then played very well. At one point a lady leaned over and said,"I wish my kids were as great as yours was in the flight" I told her she caught us on a good day, :). We got off in Orlando, yes I know oer shot it but thats the way the flight was. We all got a smoothie and then got on the plane. Short flight, Melia played and then slept till we landed, Troy played with Mindy the whole time. It was one of those moments that took my breath away hearing and seeing them play. I love my family!!


Off the plane and its raining (just like last years Ironman). It took me about 30 min the get the car seats in,but I got them. Loved the fact that my wife booked us a MINIVAN!!! I totally pimped that ride! I have been wanting one for a while but just hadn't got one. LOVED IT!! Road to pick up my race bag from Nat (Tri Team Transport) and get my wetsuit since we were suppose to swim in the morning.


FINALLY found our condo (after missing it several times) and found out we got the penthouse, thats right Garza's are HIGHH ROLLERS!! Well not really, just got a really good deal. We all picked our room and hit the beds pretty early. Thursday we were supposed to swim, so me and Matt and Alli, meet up for breakfast and at the Waffle House (which there are about 30 just in the city, if your lost just turn right at the waffle house, seriously!!) As we eat it starts raining AGAIN! No swim, decided to drive the course with Lilly to check it out. WOW I mean WOW, flat and fast, I think I even salavated at one point. Oh, I am going fast on Saturday!! We jammed to some of my fav tunes and laughed the trip away, picked up Alli and drove the run course. Uh different story, speed bumps, turns, not sure where your headed, man thats going to be tough. Went to talk to Jamie and Andrea at there place in the trailer park (they brought there airstream trailer, pretty awesome!) Headed back to pick up my race packet, OMG!!! Stood in line for almost 2 hours!!!! My beautiful wife stood in line with me and for me at some times so I could get my bike from Nat, (BTW Tri Transport left several bikes over night outside in the rain ALL NIGHT, uncovered. SO glad Natasha took awesome care of my bike, thank you soooo much Nat!!) Got my packet and one volunteer said wow you waited in that line a long time huh, I replied lady, I trained a lot longer for this race. She smiled, my job was done.


Got my packet, nothing really in it, except the thing I needed, wristband and chip. Thats all I need. As we were figuring out what to do Mindy calls me and tell me they are headed to the urgent care to get Melia looked at. Turns out she has a sinus infection and the start of Srep. Awesome! Poor thing when I saw her just broke my heart. Mindy said just go do your thing we got this under control. That was real hard to deal with but I knew Mindy wanted for me to not worry about it, still did a bit. Got my stuff and back to the condo for an easy 30 min run with Matt. We ran the bike course and back to his hotel which is the host hotel (his room is right in front of the start line of the swim). Quick bit to eat then headed back for the athlete meeting. ROOM WAS PACKED!! Finally meet up with Lindsey there and the three of us cut up jokes, good times! Lilly couldn't make it so I called her and put her on speaker so she could hear the speeches. Got our info, stopped off at Walmart the back to condo around 9 pm. What a day! Everyone was sleeping which made me feel better but Mindy was up, so we talked and I thanked her for every thing she has done to help me.


Woke up (finlly got some good sleep) and ate some stuff, talked to troy a bit and headed for a swim and bike. Met up with Matt, Lindsey and Lilly at the swim start with Andrea and Jamie. Got some final word of advice and then put it to action. HOLY CRAP!!! Getting throuht the waves was so hard and the wind was up, current was up you name it. Got through the breakers and floated a bit till the crew joined up. BUT I was about 100 yards down the beach were I started, man that current is really strong! Swam the backside parallel to the shore and Dave turned into Micheal Phelps, Ok that part was cool!! Turned in to the shore and felt good as I body surfed in, I though ok I got this. Just going out was really really hard! But I got this! Two loops just to warm up ok. Took a ton of pics (I'll post later) and got on the bike. It was cold enough that I needed arm warmers and gloves. Got some easy riding in about an hour.
More to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment