Monday, November 16, 2009

13 days and counting.......

Sunday November 15th David's Ironman Fundraising Party!!!

Holy cow what a night! So my friends: Kim, Lilly, Chris, and Kathy got together and through a fundraising party for me at The Grille at Rough Hollow Sunday November 15th 2009. How did this start, well Kim decided to help me out with trying to find me a sponsor during the time that I was looking (and still am) for someone/company to sponsor this awesome athlete. :) Kim had talk to Tim and Steve the owners of this awesome restaurant to see if we could hold a dinner in honor of me. And poof the party was born.

We enlisted the help of Lilly, Chris, and Kathy to help get the people out there. Included in this update are some pictures of the event. As we were trying to figure out how to raise more money, I talked it over with Mindy and she suggested a silent auction. That was the big hit of the night!!! Thanks my love for the suggestion!


At first there were only me and the organizers, since the place was not that easy to find, so thanks to all that made the trek. We kind of knew how many people where going to show, but one by one as people showed up I was blown away with the support and generocity that was shown by my friends and the members at South Austin Life Time. We had 52 people show up
that night. Now don't get me wrong, Yes the money that was raised was great. The thing that I was blow away with was the support given to me for my race. People went out of there way for me, I mean me really??? This was my dream to compete and train for an Ironman. Now I can see not only did my family support me but the people that I have touched through exercise and self accomplishment. That is what has blown me away. With all the awesome things that have happened to me this year, I am still Dave. There are sometimes that I look at myself and wonder what is the big deal, I am just a guy who actually loves what I do. Then there are sometimes I look at myself and think, holly $%!& look what I am creating in peoples lives. That is what I saw last night. David look what you did, and what you helped people accomplish (As Natalie so politely put it, "My butt was made by Dave, and I like the way it looks"), and I have to admit I like making people feel good about themselves. Service to others right April :)
Another cool thing that Lilly made was an inspiration box. People would write me a note and place it in the box. I will not open that box until the day before the race. Thanks in advance for all those who wrote to me. So I will be taking it this week to classes so that people who did not come to the party can show their support as well.


So here it was time for me to give my speech for the event, lets just say it was the speech of my life! I was very fortunate to have Mike and Jeff there who helped start my journey long time ago in Austin. Today I wish I would have video taped it, but I will always have this blog to remind me. I shared the stories that made/helped/hurt me to this point in my life. And yes I could not hold back my emotions, I cried and I still cant hide my emotions as I type................
Thanks for the wise cracks to get me back on track {Jill}, I was very happy to be able to show everyone the sacrifice and patience that my wife has for me. With her by my side I can do anything. From the energy I received last night I know, I will not fail or fear Ironman. I am stronger, I am ready, I can and I will be the best David on November 29th.
"You never know how strong you are until, strength is all you have left"
I have several people to thank and it would take me a few more blogs to do so, SO this is what I am asking this blog. Comment a fond memory/funny memory of me you remember to share. I want your account so I can laugh, cry with you as you comment. If you only met me once that's fine too, let me know. Now is your chance to help me.

4 comments:

  1. Dear David -

    Thanks so much for the amazing and inspirational sharing of how your circle of friends and family came together to support you in the Ironman with a outward and loving honoring of you, not just for what you do, but for who you are.

    It is seldom that we have an opportunity to express our deepest and most sincere gratitude to those in our lives who make a meaningful difference.

    You are truly living a life of service, David, and the gifts you share with those around you are far beyond mere material things.

    It is the words of support, the encouraging look, the bright smile, the pat on the back, the "good job" at the end of a workout, that all blend together into one truly superb and inspiring role model and friend.

    Thank you for being in my life, David. You make a meaningful difference in the world by what you do and also by who you are - a kind friend, a loving husband, a good father, a world class athlete and an inspiring instructor.

    Lovingly, Ariana

    ReplyDelete
  2. One memory that comes to mind was a morning I was working out with you. For various reasons, I was really distracted and kind of phoning it in. You decided to handle this by having me hold a 4 minute squat on the Bosu. I quickly forgot the outside distractions. True,this brought other thoughts to mind ("Really Dave, do you see my legs shaking??", "I have how much longer??", "@#$%!"), but then it changed. As you walked around reminding me that I was there for me and my goals and I could do this, it clicked. I remember thinking how smart that was. You knew this would be the best way to get me back to where I needed to be. I did do it and felt great. Well, at least for a few seconds before you had me immediately jump into a dynamic leg exercise... :-)

    In the short time I've known you, you've had a huge impact on my life and I have multiple great memories...the all Zeppelin/Kings workouts, doing the workout with me, giving your own time to discuss my goals, your awesome classes, just generally cracking me up. I'm very thankful. You push us all to challenge our perceived limitations and inspire us to want to be better.

    I know you will be your best at the Ironman and that is pretty freaking awesome. Go rock it in Cozumel!!! - Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok... So No I am not one of your BFF's, and I have only known you for about 2 yrs. I remember when my hubby & I joined the gym, and we would see your FAMOUS 5:30 TC class.... We wanted to go, but were SO scared that we were not in enough shape to do it. Long story short we did it & I am happy to say TC (with David) is my Fav class there. As hard as it is, and as much pain as it inflicts.... You are the reason myself & others undergo that pain. Yes we do it for us too, but YOU give us the reason to wanna be there at 5:30am. David when I had my miscarriage this August, one of the things I looked forward to when I could workout again was TC. Honestly! No I am not an athlete. No I am not in the "perfect shape" I wanna be in physically, but when I am in class.. It is fun. You make us smile. You make us believe in ouselves no matter how many imperfections we have. I truly admire you David as I am sure sooooo many others do. I wish you and your beautiful family only the best. May GOD continue to bless you as he already has. Your the best! Keep believing in yourself & you will win! - Keisha-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave!
    What a year you have had! I swear every time I read you blog I get all teared up lol so thanks for that. So I am sitting here glued to my computer watching for lindsey. She is probably kickin' some major butt :) Anyways so I thought I would share my favorite memory of this past year.
    The Austin Longhorn 70.3 was my first half ironman. To say the least I had a great time. It was full of joy and tears. As I was turning onto my final lap, I was completely exhausted and as I look up I see Dave turn around to come see me. The first thought that entered my head was Oh $**t. because here comes Dave and I am seriously gonna have to pick it up. After hearing about his 3 flat tires I started to think I have it pretty good so far. Dave pushed me harder than I think I have ever been pushed before. He kept me occupied by telling me many stories and jokes because he could see just how tired I was. After a few miles of Dave doing all of the talking, I asked him if he wanted to hear a personal story of him. I than told him that I peed on myself on the bike AND on the run! yes i know gross, but all you triathletes will understand and actually could be quit jealous as Dave was :)
    On Friday of this week, I had an emotional day and decided that I was going to go back out to the Longhorn course. As I parked my car and set out on my run, I was hit by so many emotions. There were parts that I busted out in shear laughters and the next second was sobbing like some crazy kid. I remember Dave telling me my last mile to dedicate it to somebody. I decided than to dedicate it to Dave! He has helped me more than I know and continues to enspire me by example.
    So here we are 1 week away from Dave first Ironman. He had been my inspiration to start triathlons just 8 months ago and i know he is going to kick some major butt next weekend. Go out and have fun. Ash & I will be home cheering you on!
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete