Friday, November 13, 2009

16 days and counting.....

I want to start this update off with something that always moves me, if you ever hear me say, "I can, and I will!" this is what I am referring too.


For those of you that know me, know that my family means everything to me. If it had not been for Mindy, my life would not be anywhere close to the place I am today. She opened the possibility to let me become the me I am now, in this moment and alive. She gave me two wonderful kids who lighten my days everyday. My son Troy is a little over 3, and my daughter Melia who is 14 months old.


Though all my endeavors, one wish is that I hope to inspire my children to never stop trying to be healthy and to not have any reservations about living life to the fullest, and enjoy all the life has to offer! It melts my heart to hear my son say, "Daddy I Love You!" and I can see that saying in my daughters eyes. Short story long, I go back to that song or video when I feel weak and recharge my batteries to achieve greatness for me and my family.

So as this Friday the 13Th ends, I am going to try to remember some of the training that I have done for this Ironman. My training partner Lindsey helped me out with the numbers.

Bike miles- 1200

Run miles- 550

Swim miles -55

Miles smiling and Laughing- every mile I could


Damn what a summer! It still really amazes me that we train so hard and do all the miles so that we can do the event as fast as we can, kinda funny if you think about it. Through all these miles I have learned several things about myself. The biggest one being I am too hard on myself way too much and I take on other peoples responsibility as well. I am still working on that. I have learned that I deserve and willingly accept an abundance and prosperity flowing through my life. That was a hard one to come too. If I ask for help from my friends and family they will do anything to help me out. This I am very blessed to have. It doesn't make you a weak person to ask for help. Service to others without any expectations, is the best way to make someone happy. A positive attitude will change your day, week, and life.


Today was the last day that me and Lindsey trained together. With both of us having two kids Fridays were the days where we did our long workouts. Today we swam a easy mile at Barton Springs and biked around 20 miles, and ran 2 miles easy (which was extremely hard for Lindsey). So here goes 4 stories that I want to remember and share:

1) Me and Lindsey were trying to ride for 100 miles on the bike. We rode from South Austin Life Time to Andice (Parmer Lane) and we parked our car by Mopac and Parmer. We are almost to Andice and my tire blows and was not repairable. So lucky a good Samaritan helped give us a ride to our car. George was his name, he had a truck so I rode with the bikes in the back and Lindsey rode in front. Lets just say George wasn't all there and proceeded to slam on the brakes at all the lights, and run a few of the red ones. Me liking horror movies started thinking I might be driven off to no mans land and left for good, BUT he did drive us to the car. And lets just say Lindsey had some really good stories to tell about George. You should ask her about it sometime if you need a laugh.

2) Riding with Lindsey in Buda area, we found a great route to ride that had little to no traffic and yes it had some hills in it. As we were going up hill Lindsey was riding to my left. I glanced over to check on her and as I did I watched her veer over and hit my back wheel. As she did this she made a slight outburst of "OH $!%%" and down she went into the ditch. I was really worried that she was hurt. Lucky we were not going fast at all, as I stopped to check on her, I see her feet and hands in the air and she wasn't moving. I thought the worst, BUT she was gasping for air because she was laughing so hard. Needless to say she was fine but the laugh we have from it was priceless.

3) The first time me, Lindsey and Craig went riding. This was the first time my swim coach went riding on his new road bike, with clip in pedals. He did great and didn't even fall but he was so freaking hilarious that I nearly fell off my bike from laughing so hard. I really did have to stop and catch my breath.
4) Troy, "Daddy are you going to go to work, race or are you training this morning". This asked by my son one early morning. I told him I was training he said be safe and have fun.

Oh yeah here is a hint, put sunscreen on. All the parts that your shirt doesn't cover :)

So as I gear up for Ironman, I have become a ball of emotions. I know this because I cried today at the end of Happy Feet as I was watching it with my son today, really??? So here is the big question. Am I physically ready. I think so, during the weekend of the Longhorn 70.3: Friday long ride with a short run, Saturday played a co-ed soccer game, Sunday raced then played a co-ed indoor soccer game, Monday taught all 4 of my classes starting at 5:30 am. The one thing that slowed me down a little was a small blister..........

So am I crazy, yes. I want to use my body in every way I can. I have already signed up for Florida Ironman 2010 on Nov 6th and I haven't even completed my first Ironman yet. BUT I am very happy for all those first time triathletes that I have helped make this year from the very first to 1/2 Ironman: Ashley, Chelsea, Christa, Laura, Tim, Chris, Jill, Blake, Carrie, Gregg, Craig, Rae, Katy just to name a few and several others who names I don't know or remember. I am proud of you!!!!


In Ironman Cozumel my race number is 1526 if you want to track me:


http://ironmancozumel.com/









1 comment:

  1. D-I can remember Emelio and I walking up the stairs at Lifetime the first day and meeting you. Smiling, approachable, and brimming with untapped energy, from that moment you inspired me to be better. To try new things, push harder, be stronger; in essence, to think, "I can and I will." Your voice motivated me to try my first Tri and your voice pushed me over the finish line.
    Let the energy of your members, your friends motivate and push you forward now on this IronMan journey. We are all so proud of you! We move forward off your inspiration and energy, gleaning it as if my osmosis while in your presence.
    Do your best, because you can and you will, and we will be waiting here to listen to you talk about your journey. J

    ReplyDelete