Monday, November 30, 2009

Ironman Cozumel 2009

Finally, the day is here!
(Pictures to be added later)
{WARNING THIS IS RIDICULOUSLY LONG}

Wake up alarm at 4:00 am, "Tonight's going to be a good night". Yes I thought to myself but the day will be better. I slowly started to get my bags and my gear ready. Mindy was up not to long after me. She had decided to come with me to the transition to help transport my bike pump and gear back to the condo. I looked outside and there was no wind and the water was calm, HELL YEAH I said to Mindy she was excited as well. We had decided to leave the condo by 5:15 since transition opened up at 5:30. It seemed the time was sitting still and the anticipation was almost overwhelming. As we were getting things finalized of course the kids were up and troy wanted to come with me, I had to convince him that he needed his rest to help cheer me on for the day, Melia needed very little help, I put the blanket over her eyes and she was out. 5:15 off to transition.

The park is a 5 min walk from the condo (great job G-daddy on the place), as we were walking you could see utter chaos happening. Buses and taxis all over the place with athletes and there support all around. I dropped of my special needs bags for the bike and run and walked on in to transition, and over to my bike, as I did I ran across one of the pro's from Austin, Patrick Evo. I went to him and he looked at me like he knew me (yes I was jumping for joy again). He said I didn't know you would be here I told him good luck and have a great race, I'll be cheering for you, he wished me good luck as well. I went to air up my tires and you could feel the anticipation in the air, the feeling was immense. Aired up my tire lent the pump to a few athletes and I was done. Went to find Mindy, found her and went to the boardwalk where we would be running from the swim exit to the changing tent. The park had opened early just for the event so we walked through the souvenir shop and then to sit for a bit. Time seemed to slow to a crawl. I kept asking Mindy what time it was, and it wasn't time to get ready yet, DAMN! I was kind of laughing to myself because I knew there would be a time where I wanted time to slow so that I could remember the experience but it wold still be the same if not faster. Finally started getting ready kissed Mindy good bye and told her I will see you in a bit. I walked through transition to the start and saw a couple of friends from Austin, Darren, Shawn, and someone else I forgot there name but had seen him a ton of races around town.

So there we were standing to race 140.6 miles, we saw the pro wave go off, that was a sight to see. The helicopter was hovering over head the announcer screaming something in Spanish, then the mass wave in front of me started to move, holly crap here we go. I didn't know how far back I was they kept telling us to hurry but I could only go as fast as the person ahead of me. So the dock we went off was a dolphin enclosure, rectangular in shape and we looked like ants running around it trying to get in the water. People were jumping off the dock others were taking the stairs. There were people everywhere. I decided to walk down use the stairs. I jumped in a enclosed area that had a lower deck under water where I could stand, and wait for a bit. The water felt good, not to cold but refreshing. As time was getting close I decided to get closer to the front, I dove in the sea of people, I dove under to take a look, and all I could see were legs wiggling and hands moving about in all directions, it was pretty cool. I slowly started to make my way up to the front area and I finally found a spot where some open water was. I started thinking, geez when are we going to ..........................(BLOW HORN) go. DAMN all the sudden everyone one in a mass swim start started moving and all the wonderful blue clear water turned violent, arms feet heads all over the place. I crawled kicked and tried to take a breathe in a sea of athletes. A few meters in the swim I found some open water/space and got into my rhythm a few time but then someone would come by me or bump into me or I would get squeezed between two people, Like really we had a whole ocean to swim in people! I started swimming with my elbows wide to create some room for me and it kinda worked. Then BAM! I felt a huge pain in my elbow not sure what hit me but my elbow started to really hurt and was stinging bad, i thought oh well it was nothing. Turns out I have a huge bruise and some skin missing from someones hand I imagine, but I think I got the better of it. I was feeling great I was relaxed I was breathing well, and I had a good line to the buoys. I had decided that since the swim was so clear to sight the bottom of the ocean instead of using buildings, or the cruise ships to guide me. I lined up the buoy with some rocks on the floor and stayed on the line I wanted and I had open water. turned the first buoy and headed to the next, this was the turn around. At the buoy it got really congested again but what could I do, hit the next buoy and I knew I had a good line because I literally went under the buoy and headed down the back stretch. 1.2 miles to go on the back side. I swam close to the buoys and sometimes on the inner part to get open water and then move in when a buoy came. I could see the anchors and scuba divers in the water holding the buoys, so I sighted them. The water was a little rougher since we were out father from shore but not too bad. As I was getting closer to the turn around I saw some spots on the ocean floor, some salt water had gotten in my goggles and I couldn't see that well so I focused, and saw that there were starfish all speckled all over the ocean floor. Found the turn around buoy and turned left and swam beside the submarine that marked the inner line of the swim, as I swam by I saw a camera and I flashed a hang loose sign and stuck out my tongue to it, you know me. Turned left again, on my way home! I cut the corner a little to much but I had open water to swim with again so I stayed there and about 800 meters to the finish I swam closer to the buoys and saw some awesome fish, oh that's right keep swimming David. I saw the park where we finish, almost there David. 100 meters out, almost there, stairs David you just swam 2.4 miles and on your way to an becoming an Ironman. I walked up the stairs and started to run down the board walk trying to take off my speedsuit. I had a hard time but it finally started to unzip. I ran to get my bag and into the changing tent, there were people everywhere. Outside the tent inside running around. I went into the tent found a chair sat down and started put on my bike gear looked at my watch and saw 1:11, are you kidding me!!! I ROCKED THE SWIM!!! CRAIG WE DID IT!!!!!!! Got my stuff on, went to the porta potty and ran outside, I could not stop smiling. I am doing this, I thought to myself, and I feel really good.

Grabbed my bike, some yelled something in Spanish about the swim, and I replied yeah i just rock it too, don't think he understood me but in a universal gesture gave a thumbs up and he did too, brothers in arms I guess. Hopped on the bike out of the park and turned right on the highway. My legs where there, I looked down and I noticed I was going to 23 mph, what!!! But I felt great so ok, there was little wind and keep that for a little bit passed Shawn (another jack and Adams guy from Austin) he shouted some encouraging words and I was off. I pulled over and slowed to eat a little bit and I saw two people pass me, which I was prepared for then Shawn passed, he said dude look you had a pack following you drafting you the whole way. Later Shawn had said it looked like I was leading the peleton, ha. I looked and there were around 10 people there, bastards!!! So i forced my way back in and passed then as we came to the windy part of the course I passed them and went on to the windy point of the island, which is where most of the miles were, ugh, dude it was really windy that day. I had talked to some one who had raced in Kona and she said those windy today were worse than Kona's wind I believed her. Winds were probably 30 mph gusts and 25 sustained. The pack that was drafting me passed me because they were working together. That's not what I wanted to do here. I am glad I had the wheel that were not too much of a deep wheel set. I decided to take it easy here. The sight was beautiful, blue green ocean huge waves and blow holes beaches you name it, oh yeah did I mention it was windy? Saw our special needs bags a decided to stop there next time. The aid stations were well stocked, they would had us water bottles with water and Gatorade, bars and gu. I only got the water and put it in my aero bottle (which I love, first race with it). Passed coconuts and then the Mexican K-mart (yup that's its name) turned left to head to town and I could feel that I could pick it up, 20 mph 21mph 22 mph now that's better. I was going about 17 mph on the windy/North side of the island. I was still feeling good, as I got closer to town someone was having bike issues and the people helping were calling out to the other bikers if they had a spare CO2 cartridge, I did so I frantically grabbed it and threw it to him , and hoped he finished. I started to see the locals on the side of the road, they would see me and yell things in Spanish, like vomanos, rappido, vie mexico and el guappo. Got into the heart of the city and was blown away by the local support, they were yelling, and screaming, shaking water bottles with rocks in it beating pots and pans blaring music, bar-b-queing, drinking. It was a party and they were there to cheer me on, IT WAS AWESOME!!! I vividly remember this one little boy who looked at me dropped jaw in wonder at what I was doing, I teared up. I could not stop smiling all the way through town that was a high light of the ride. Hit the seawall street and was on my way to see my family.

Mindy said she would be by the park, sure enough there they were. Mindy had made red shirts with black letter, "Go Dave", the kids said "My dad rocks". I saw that and got some more energy. Headed down the fast stretch of road I was hitting 25 mph yeah! The only thing that was hurting me was my lower back and my left arm from the aero bars from fighting the wind, everything else was good. 2nd loop, I saw the group that was drafting me earlier and then I saw a official ride by in his scooter and penalize about 4-5 of them, I smiled a bit. As I passed one of the athletes competing, I looked over and saw the bike my best friend rides, Matt Harmatuk. As soon as I saw that I thought about our races together this season, and how he was supposed to be here with me but he was called away to protect our country. Matt you were riding with me out there, in case you didn't know that. Be safe and we will race next year in Florida. We love you Matt!!

Even though this was the fast part of the island it was the longest and desolate, so I sang my power song, "World's Greatest", and miley yes I said miley, and other songs that pumped me up in classes. Got to the North/windy part again man here we go, wind felt stronger. Made it to the aid station with my special needs bag and grabbed all my stuff went to the bathroom and stretched a bit. It was crazy there people yelling out numbers, Spanish talk all over the place, people were grumpy, volunteers frantically helping out athletes. I was thankful for the volunteers and didn't mind the chaos, that just wasn't me or my race. I was having fun and enjoying the moment, got on the bike and rode back into town, yeah I loved this part. Even more people there this loop, this time I was the only rider around for a few meters, and it felt as they were all there for me, this is where I pictured all of the people in Austin cheering for me, they were so loud, I though man I know a ton of people are rooting for me back home and I know this is what you guys would be doing that for me.

Off to the family, I see them by the park I wave to them 3rd lap lets do this! Legs a feeling it now, only able to hold 22-21mph. Back was really hurting, shoulder and neck started to tighten up. Things were starting to go against me, but I wasn't ready to back down just yet, on to the windy side, yeah it hurt now. I was holding 16 mph really, I men really?? But I knew this is it, the last time I had to face his wind. Just make it to the Mexican K-mart, and then head to town, I piked it up at the turn holding 22 mph into town, i thought finish strong for the kiddos watching and for every else, and for me damn it! Two more turns left I see Mindy, and lost it. I was almost finished with a 112 mile bike race. Last turn and the guy I was supposed to hand my bike to was wait for me and motioning me to give him my bike, I made my patented dismount, handed my bike ran to get my bike bag and into the changing tent. Put on my sock, DAMN had to take it back off to body glide my feet, sock back on shoes on bathroom agua and out the tent.

On the run, 1/3 of the way to go. I am almost there 3 loops on the run and I am an Ironman! I got this. Headed from transition which was in a plaza by the Mega (a shop like wal-mart that had everything), the crowd was AMAZING!!! People yelling my name (it was on my bib) yelling for me, sweet my legs felt good, people yelling out "Animal" I thought damn straight I am an animal. headed to the Melia Cozumel and the turn around with a 8:30 pace. I was listening to my body and it felt good, I can hold this pace. Pass the main ocean street water stations I was grabbing water, ice, bananas, and coke. I did this for first few miles then tapered off as I made the turn around. I made a friend from Canada trying to beat his friend (he did by a few min I found out later). On the way to the turn around the winner past me and looked awesome. He was on his way to win the race, and he did, congrats Beke! Kept running and I saw Patrick Evo walking, I asked him what happened he said he was done. He had a hard day as I think we all did, he told me I looked strong and to push it. I tried. As I made the turn I saw an old friend of mine that I raced with a few years ago and he moved away, Steve. He went on to do a few Ironman races and this was his 4th. He was having stomach issues, but later on finished strong as well. I also saw John from Austin he was doing really well. He had knee issues and couldn't run his regular run, so he slowed down. I was sill feeling good and tried to keep that pace. On the the way back to town, I got very excited because I knew the crowd would be loud and they were still cheering on every athlete that ran by, especially the Mexico tri team. They had this awesome drum band on the corner of the last street by the Jimmy Buffet Cheeseburger in Paradise place. I made the turn and could see one of the pro's finishing on the big screen they had set up at the finishers plaza. As I did I saw one of the Austin athlete's cheering me on, he started the race with me, but I asked what happened he just shook his head, his Ironman dream did not happened.

Made the turn and I ran past the big Mexican flag where the two huge eagles were when I ran the other day to Los Palmeras and there was Mindy and the gang. They yelled and cheered me on, I got recharged and headed back out of the city. I could tell I was getting blisters on my feet close to my toes, I felt that before. My legs were telling me that I could not hold that pace as the first loop, so I slowed down. The things that was hurting me the most were my quads and it was getting worse by the mile, feet were hurting too but I could run through that, my legs were another story.

I was doing ok until I hit the turn around point at the Melia Cozumel, and then I walked a bit in between aid stations. I saw Patrick again and i yelled out its hurts man, his reply was it always does, so I pushed on. My legs were slowly turning against me, but I still had my smile. I past my friends wives, and they yelled I smiled back and gave them a hang loose sign. They called me a dork, I was ok with that. This is where the race started to hurt for me. I was headed back to town again, and could not wait to get the energy from the crowd to help push me. As I came into town I saw a girl holding a napkin it said, "You can do it, go be an Ironman" written in pen. That was the best sign I saw. (Except for Mindy's of course)From the distance I saw the Mexican flag waving gin the air, I knew that's where my family was and I could run to there. Legs hurting more, feet feeling like I was stepping on nails I made it there to see Mindy. I walked as I say here she said don't stop Dave you got this. I started the Ironman shuffle. Ran past the Mega saw the Jimmy buffet sign and knew I was close to the turn around for my final loop. This time I did not see the sign the turn around hurt to much to focus on anything else. I made my way to the last turn, that was hard. To know that I had close to 9 miles of absolute painful running between me now and me being an Ironman, so I set my way past the awesome drum beats going on I winked and pointed to the same guy who I pointed to last time in the drum line, he pointed his drum stick at me and pointed "VAMANOS". So I did slowly but surely I was going to push myself to the limit to achieve my dream. I ran to Los Palmeras to see Mindy but she came to me before the restaurant, she knew I was hurting, she knows my races and knows how I am feeling in them. I wanted to walk with her she said keep running and I never will forget this she said,"You are 94% there you can do this" at the time it almost brought me to tears but then I thought I can cry I needed the sodium, I kind of laughed to myself. Then I ran into Rebecca, Nama, Troy and Melia. Mindy had told her mom that I wasn't doing well so when she saw me she ran with me and told me that she believed in me and that I can do it. So with those blessing I headed back out of the city for the last time.

Every step I took hurt worse then the last, the sun was setting and my goal of finishing in the sun was lost, but then I said well out of all those goals I was ok not getting that one. It got dark fast and my body was turning against me, my legs were in serious pain and on the verge of cramping, my stomach was not happy and I barley made it to the aid station to use the bathroom. As I had to the porta potty I hear someone yell out there is no toilet paper, I thought oh well, I had to go really bad! So lets just say lucky there was the toilet paper roll :) Had a hard time standing up got out and started to run/shuffle again. The pain was too much and I walked again, this time the mosquito's were very bad and wold swarm you if you walked because there was no wind, so that was my incentive to keep running. I saw on the other side people were spraying the athletes with bug spray and I couldn't wait to get there to get some. 20 mile, almost there. If you guy don't know I dedicate my last miles to the people who helped me get to that point in time. Mile 20 Life Time Members, who always give me there best and in return they find them selves, don't stop Dave they don't for you. Shawn was running in the opposite direction through the water stop, we both stopped and walked through the water stop. We both had no energy to say anything so we wobbled over like drunks and gave each other knuckles. I still get a chuckle every time I think about it. Mile 21, all my sponsors, Pure Sport, Jack and Adams, Lululemon, Kerri, all the Life Time Members that donated to me.

Mile 22 my extended family, all the people I have adopted Ashley, Chelsea, Lindsey, Lilly, you guys are my family. The pain was immense. Now don't get me wrong, I was going to finish, there was never a time where I wanted to quit but I hurt bad! It was a double negative for me if I walked the start back to run almost made me cry, but to continue to run hurt just as bad. My quads felt as if they were being hit with bats every time I took a step, I was pushing myself to the limit, and funny but I liked it. That was what I was there for to find myself when it hurt, when my body said no you cant I still was loud, I smiled when I could, and I was counting the miles and I was having fun. Mile 23, my dad who was going to be so proud on me, and that I was able to share this experience with him in my life, my sister who thinks the world of me, who started to run and the whole family just did a half marathon together because of me. The turn around, I never thought a simple left turn while running would hurt so bad and be so refreshing at the same time.

Mile 24 pain almost unbareable, the pain incorperated my whole legs now I could feel the possiblity of my calf, hamstring, hip flexor cramp. I didnt worry about the quads I think if they cramped it would have felt better. Mile 24 was for my coaches and training partner Craig, Lindsey, Nick, David. You guys had to put up with me for a year, most people can barely go an hour with me :) You guys helped me get to her and we were almost there. Back in town some one the poeple who were there cheering me on had left, I could see the big Mexican flag this time for the last time, I knew Mindy and the gang would not be there but at the finish line. The street was uneven and that just made my blisters hurt worse, mile 25. I remember thinking it hurts Dave really bad, and then I said so what its just pain and I can handle it. Almost there Dave, mile 25 is always for my family. You guys will always be there and have been there, we are about to become an Ironman. Closer to the Mega the crowds start to build up again. I see the mega almost there dave pain is super high but I know will be over in a few min I pick it up, pain worseness. I am pushing my limits, dont stop now. I SEE THE JIMMY BUFFETS SIGN ITS RIGHT THERE!!!. The drum ine band isnt there I wanted it to be to show my friend we did it, crowd thickens. I see the sign mile 26, .2 miles to go. I pick it up again, the plaza is lit up a brillient glow, the crowd yells at me harder as they see me coming in, I feel like the only athlete out there. I run past the corner to the turn around point. I pick it up more running like 8 min miles again, picking it up again the pain goes away. I felt no pain nothing, sheer joy and happiness came over me, the volunteer directing us telling us to go another loop, he he funny now but as I came close to him I told him no, I'm finito I'm done! I'M DONE!!! He pointed to me to finish like someone opening a gate, I turn past the huge New Balance arch way and there it was, the finish line, no one is in front of my or behind me, this was my moment , MY MOMENT!! I had race 140.6 miles, pushed ,myself my family an my friends and we are all here. The finsih line was a brilliant purple and green from the lights that lit up the sky, the grand stands were all full of people and they were cheering me on. I put on that smile and through my hands in the air all the way to the finish line. I get to the finish line I point to the camera and I do my 5 clapping push-ups, I cross my finish line cross my hands on my chest and open the up in victory and screamed at the top of my lungs!!!! I had done it, we had done it, David you are and Ironman! 11:24:24. I recieve my finishers medal and sea shell medalion. As I get them, I lost it. All those emotions, the pain, the joy, the challenegs, the success, the finally, I let all those emotions come through me and it felt great.

I looked up and saw the medical tent, with all those people in it, I didn't need it. I walked to the massage area and I was looking for Mindy. As I was looking all that pain came right back. I could feel huge blisters on my feet. Later that night when I took off my shoes it was confirmed. I had a huge blood blister on my left foot and regular blisters on my right foot. I didn't know where she was, I walked over to the massage are to get some water and there was John iceing his knee, he finished great but was in some pain, but so was I, funny to say now I was walking like a duck. At that point my race became complete, there was Mindy and we embraced and cried together, holding each other tight, I had completed my dream because of her and she was proud of me for what we did, now I was an offical Ironman!

I get my finishers shirt, didnt get a hat, found out I had to preorder that, really? Then got a leg massgae, OUCH!!!!!! Tried to eat pizza but stomach wasnt ready for it, found out my friends finsihed with a great time, congrats Micheal and Shawn! AUSTIN ROCKS WUT WUT!!!! Got my run bag, went to where my family was and asked Troy, "You know what they will call daddy after today?" His Reply,"An Ironman", thats right Troy I answered. We looked around for a bit and I was ready to get off my feet, went to get my bike bag and bike, Mindy came to help, it was amazing all the little steps I have to walk, getting on and off the curb was a sight to see. I got my bike smiled again and tried to get out, I had put so much water on me that I was my bib number almost competly off. Walked to the car where all 7 of us and the bike fit into a 4 door compact (insert joke here). We got back to the condo, put the kids to bed, I jumped in the cold pool for a few min showered and facebooked for a bit. I finally got hungry so we went and got a big juicy cheese burger, and it was good. Everyone went to bed, I finally took troy into bed with me and we fell asleep together. Didn't get much sleep that night, I felt nauseaus and my legs hurt bad but I was and still am an Ironman, and I am ready for next year!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Dear David - That is an amazing and awesome sharing of your Ironman experience! It is filled with honesty, humor, and incredible descriptions of a phenomenal event! Good job, David! If I had a cigarette lighter, I'd hold it up for you light we used to do in concerts - hold up our lighters and wave and yell, "Good Job!" It's not just the article, it is the entire experience you shared with us along the way - the training, the preparation, the event itself, and the feeling and emotions that went along with the experience. I feel very honored and blessed to know you and to be part of your Lifetime family. It will be fabulous to see you again when you return to Austin so we can all give you GREAT BIG CONGRATULATORY HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, I read this more intensely than the Twilight novels. I was crying my eyes out toward the finish line just as if I were watching a ROCKY movie. The way you wrote this really did allow us all to be there with you. I saw the store signs and heard the drummers in the band. I was cheering for you while reading it. That was in incredible journey and I am so proud of you. I know your family is overjoyed. Thank you so much for sharing it and I cannot wait to give you a big hug. You are definitely an IRON MAN. Wow, tears streaming down my face! You are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to type with tears in my eyes!! Thank you so much for sharing your amazing story with us David! You truly are an amazing person and a great inspiration to all of us!! Having been to Cozumel several times myself You truly made me feel like I was right there with you. It was like a movie was playing in my head as I read your story. Thank you again for sharing and for being an IRON MAN!! The Hughes Family loves you!!

    ReplyDelete